Saturday, December 8, 2007

j's finished pieces

picked up my pieces today from class. Strangely, the bud vase and one of my teadust mugs had fused together in one spot during the firing, but I was able to snap them apart without much trouble. The teadust sure does run!

I couldn't find one piece... the little goblet that had broken while glazing. Zach found it in back with a note saying the tech didn't feel good about putting it in the kiln, if the top fell off while firing, it could totally ruin another piece or the kiln shelf... I guess I understand. I went ahead and threw it away. sad.

I spent about 30 minutes at the grinder making the places where the teadust actually had stuck to the shelf look less terrible... and then I packed up my stuff and came home!


3 comments:

hana said...

Great stuff! I really like all of it, looks professional. Your boxes are nicely symmetric. The mugs looks very well done too. Good progress on the handles. My handles are still a little disappointing.

My camera ran out of batteries before I could finish my pictures. sad.

jacqueline said...

yeah, the things I took away form this class were:

(1) hand-built handles (instead of pulled handles) and how you have better control of the outcome with them.

(2) how to repair cracks in bone dry clay with vinegar and clay dust!

(3) strategic wrapping with plastic to slow the drying of thinner clay bits over-time, as opposed to wrapping the whole piece.

(4) using ribs to control the shape of the outer wall. i.e. less bumpy throw lines, and more finished-looking profiles.

(5) how NOT to give up on a piece on the wheel when it starts to sag or buckle. It ain't over till the fat lady sings!!

jacqueline said...

oh yeah, and:

(6) using a slab to repair a thrown piece you've cut through the bottom on! You'll never guess which 2 mugs didn't have bottoms for a while!!