Friday, November 9, 2007

j's first open lab!

ok, while hana was skipping class, I went to a 2.5 hour open lab.

Lessee... I showed up, moved my bone-dry finished pieces to the bisque cart, and rolled out 2 large slabs of DWS (hand building) clay. The fellow openlab mates did not like my method of making slabs though. I've decided that the slab-roller slabs aren't really as ready-to-go as hand-made ones. I believe if you take the time to make a proper slab by hand, it's less likely to shrink in a weird, unexpected way. Anyway, "my way" involves slapping the clay alot by hand, and it's kinda distracting I suppose if the radio is cutting out for 30 seconds at a time due to bad transmission, and ofcourse no one else is talking, so it was uncomfortably quiet besides my hands slapping on my clay. :P

I also found the 5 pieces already bisque fired.

I began the class letting the slab harden up, and going into the glaze room and considering the 5 pieces newly bisqued. I went ahead and used a stain wash on the mouse I had carved out of my cat mug. After washing off the extra stain with water, I decided it'd take longer than I had remaining in open lab that night to dry out for glazing. In the mean time I went ahead and glazed a bowl in teadust glaze, a cup in 2nd cousin celadon, and a 1st coat of many of a bowl in shino glossy. I need to do more to these pieces before they will be ready to fire again tho. Next class I'll get to them.

Back in the main room, I went ahead and began hand-building 2 box-like trays w/ 2" walls. I was able to put together all of them besides the feet on the second tray. I wrapped the entire thing in plastic and sprayed it w/ water before leaving. I think its a good start for some additional good pieces.

I didn't approach the wheel cause I didn't want to spend the time cleaning the wheel.

Anyway, I think I made some good progress during this open lab. Only a couple more classes left!!! gah!

No comments: