Wednesday, November 14, 2007

j's second open lab

There is a notice on the chalk board in the ceramic's lab that the last day to begin wet-clay projects is this Friday, Nov 16. This shocked me into taking as much advantage of the open labs as I could. I'm not done making stuff yet!!

I went to Tuesday open lab from 6-8:30pm and worked on kneading balls of reclaimed Mac10 clay that I have been keeping. I made 3 balls and sat down at a wheel.

I went ahead and centered, but then worked off the hump to do basically hana's group project from her class. I was making little sake cups. It's kinda rough working that small, and way too easy to initially open the form too hard and immediately make the rim too small. It took some control, but I got 3 small cups out of my efforts. Ball #2 was refusing to center for me even to the point that I could work off the hump, so I scrapped that attempt (I'm blaming not-enough kneading).

The other things I attempted were the components to a clay goblet. A small one mind you, but I was able to successfully form a conic "stem" form, and nice little cup shape that I'll try attaching to one another. I'm seeing if I can make a little chalice or whatever.

I also attempted a small sake pitcher dealie bob, but things weren't working out so well in that attempt, so I abandoned it. That was about all the time I had before needing to clean up the wheel. 2.5 hours isn't long enough for a pottery class IMHO.


I'm probably going to also attend the next open lab to continue my attemps at these 2 projects.

No comments: